*Read information for Buddies below*
General Buddy Program information
The Buddy Programme aims at helping the arriving international students feel welcomed and integrate with their new life in the Netherlands and at the University of Twente. After registering for this Program as an international arriving student, you get matched to either a Dutch student or another international student that has been living in the Netherlands for more than 6 months. This student will be your “buddy” for the first 10 weeks.
Throughout the edition, activities are organised by the board of this committee which includes events with the aim of getting familiar with the Dutch culture, visiting Dutch cities, exchanging cultures, playing games and enjoying some typical Dutch winter events. While most of the events are free of charge we may sometimes require a small fee for confirmation of your attendance.
We will inform you as soon as possible about the upcoming February edition. When having questions about the Buddy Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In collaboration with the Student Union, we organise the pick-up service before each semester! We will keep you informed about the upcoming edition via the following link.
Dear (future) Buddies
Thank you for considering to become a Buddy! All Buddies will agree that they have learned a lot during their involvement in the Program. You get to know new cultures and get the chance to talk about your activities at the University of Twente. You will be linked to an international student who you will guide through the Netherlands and help to get familiar with the UT community.
Before the Program, a training for all the Buddies will be hosted. The edition starts during the first week of the quartile and the weeks are as followed:
- Buddy Program activity. Activity organised by the Buddy Committee (e.g. activity in collaboration with another organisation/association).
- Buddy activity. For example, taking your matched student to an evening with your roommates or training of your sports team.
- Activity request from the (international) student. They might be interested in some kind of association and during this week you will accompany the student to these activities. Or if you are not active at this association you can also ask someone else to accompany the student, but it is your responsibility the student has a Buddy during each activity!
- Buddy Program activity.
Although the Buddy Program mainly focuses on 'More Than A Degree', the student may very well ask you about opening a bank account or their visa. Of course, we do not expect you to know all this and you can use the knowledge of the Buddy Committee or the frequently asked question list.
- Available during one of the Buddy Training (scheduled on Thursday the 20th and Friday the 21st of January during the lunchbreak).
- You will be matched before the Kick-In. Available for questions before the start of the Kick-In.
- The Buddy Program lasts for two quartiles. You as a Buddy are expected to be available in the first module and to actively help the student.
- Besides availability via WhatsApp or different media, it is expected that you are available for one activity per week.